27 March 2009

An excerpt from my journal...

[One of my coworkers] said something in the kitchen today that I’m still reeling from. I don’t even know how to process it. I just want someone to come in and say he was wrong and use all the words I can’t find to make it all make sense. He said that we’re basically just a hotel. That the IV groups that come here could do the exact same thing at a hotel. But then, if that’s what my IV had done, I wouldn’t have gone to work for whatever random hotel we would’ve gone to. So why am I here now? What’s the point?

… because just like He can use any person, and has chosen me, He can use any place, and has chosen here. This place is holy ground, all of it. It’s a shelter from the storm for so many people, a safe haven. As much as I am His, this place is His, and He gives it back to us.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

we run into that every once in awhile... groups will leave for a year or two and go to a hotel because sometimes it's cheaper. usually, they come back.
why? that's the hard part to explain - God can use any place, it's true. the way i look at it is we're an all in one experience that hotels can't offer, and also, and most importantly, this is a sacred place set aside to do God's work. our mission statement? "to provide a special place, free of distractions, where people can feel the presence of our Lord and leave with a renewed spirit and closer relationship with Christ and their fellow believers". it goes deeper than just service like a hotel. show me a hotel who's sole existence is to do God's work in the lives of His children :)
sometimes i get in a place where i feel like we're running a hotel too... i get caught up in the service side of things, in the details, and all i see is groups coming and going and us cleaning and serving. but then usually something reminds me of why i'm here, why we do what we do. a comment from a guest, a story of what ms has done in someone's life - even years ago and we're just hearing about it. little things.

Renee said...

Thanks buddy. Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm feeling. I was getting so frustrated with the stuff he was saying cuz I didn't know what to say in response. I should have had plenty. Like our camp especially is unique in how much it takes our campers out of whatever's going on with them, away from all the distractions like cell phones and internet and school and work. He was coming from the point of view that he doesn't feel like he's doing anything for the kingdom because the majority of people that come out here are already Christians and he can't have ongoing relationships and conversations about God with the campers. I just feel like editing a famous quote to tell him "be the change you wish to see in this camp". :)

Eric said...

It's a hotel with no room service, wake up phone calls, or television.
Also, it has crappy cell phone service.