03 December 2007

Worship... just some thoughts...

What is it? I think my favorite definition I found of "worship" is "the reverent love and devotion accorded a deity, an idol, or a sacred object." The idea of reverence, love, and devotion strike a certain chord with me. When you mention "worship" to most Americans familiar with religion they automatically think of singing songs at a church service of some kind, right? I definitely don't think that's an incorrect picture to see, cuz for most, that's the easiest outlet for worshiping or praising God. But I definitely don't think that's the only way to worship God. I really believe that worship is anything that is done in reverence to someone/something and acknowledging that person/thing as your motivation for pursuing whatever it is that you're doing. There's nothing saying that gardening or photography or cooking are any less valid forms to worship God than singing. I love this idea and am trying to broaden my ways that express worship for my King and Savior. That being said, there are a couple songs that my church has sung the past couple weeks that have really moved me in how I see God in my life and I thought I'd share the words...

Stir In Me

Stir in me
A fire that the world cannot explain
I come to worship You
Stir in me
A passion that my heart cannot contain
I come to worship You

Hold me, break me
Mold me and make me more and more like You
I come to worship You
Love You, fear You
Draw ever near You as I worship You
I come to worship You

Beautiful

I need You like the rain
Come to me and sing again
I long for Your love so much
I've wanted Your pure touch
You're beautiful

I need You to be here
Come to me, I can feel You near
I love You, You are my hope
You love me as Your own
You're beautiful

Unspeakable Joy

My highest praise
Lord, belongs to Thee
For grace upon grace
You have given me

As I come in worship before You
I bow down and still my own voice
In silence my soul will adore You
For I've found unspeakable joy

What You've begun
Lord, You're seeing through
My heart undone
Now belongs to You


Lastly, I wanted to leave off with something that I kind of thought about after something my pastor said in service this morning...
I want to live my life in such a way that I never need to tell anyone/no one would ever need to ask if I'm a Christian.

p.s. after midnight is definitely a great time for deep thoughts and introspective ramblings...

2 comments:

Eric said...

haha I'm no stranger to late night blogging.

Yeah. I agree. Cooking or Photography aren't any less valid. For me it's graphic design.

And cleaning toilets.

And trashbarges.

There's nothing more amazing than watching a beautiful sunrise, racing a pod of dolphins, sailing on the ocean, and driving a stinky, slow boat.

That's worship.

Larissa said...

Hey, how about blogging more here? ;)