03 July 2009

Renee - The Quoter, part 4

I've been reading through C. S. Lewis' "space trilogy" ('Out Of The Silent Planet', 'Perelandra', and 'That Hideous Strength') as of late and there was a particular part in the end of the second book, 'Perelandra' that hit me...

"The peoples of the ancient worlds who never sinned, for whom He never came down, are the peoples for whose sake the Low Worlds were made. For though the healing what was wounded and the straightening what was bent is a new dimension of glory, yet the straight was not made that it might be bent nor the whole that it might be wounded. The ancient peoples are at the centre. Blessed be He!" p215

To kind of sum up this book, it is about a planet mirroring our own planet's history and being at the point of The Fall. Ransom is sent from Earth to help prevent this newer/younger planet from making the same mistake we did. The topic of the above passage was discussed throughout the book but I feel like this paragraph especially really finally got to me and some things that I've been trying to figure out. Specifically, it's talking about the fact that because of The Fall and of sin, we needed and were able to experience the glory of God/Christ coming down and becoming flesh to redeem us. But we were not created perfect so that we would sin and be able to experience that.

Reading this has brought up in my mind the struggles I've had with differences between my own testimony and that of others. Especially when I joined InterVarsity I would hear so many remarkable testimonies of people that grew up not knowing Christ and who God transformed out of drugs and promiscuity and many other things. For a long time it was very hard to embrace my own testimony of growing up in the church because I didn't have that story. I felt invalid because my story wasn't as moving as these other people's stories, like I was too innocent and that I had to come from this hard background for God to *really* use me to draw in other people.

(sidenote: I am not in any way saying that I am innocent or that I have never sinned. I sin and miss the mark every day of my life.)

So, what I've come to realize, in a very simplified way, in reading this is that God's perfect glory shines through every testimony and that we were not born good so that we could sin and show God's glory and mercy, but because we do sin, He brings us out of one possible goodness into another that is also completely good and neither is invalid. So whatever story my life will be, the goodness that He derives from that is just as valid and good as the goodness that He derives from someone else's story.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

When i took the C.S. Lewis class at Sac State, we talked about that a bit. The professor, Hennelly, brought up a word that Tolkien invented.

'Eucatastrophe' refers to a catastrophe, the unraveling, that leads to something great.

Something like the Fall. A catastrophe that separated man from God, but allowed for God to live and walk among us.

Now that i think about it, i think we might have talked about this during the Chronicles of Narnia. It still applies here, though.

Unknown said...

I'm with you on this.

Renee said...

thanks.